Celtic see £6.5m target price rocket after snubbing ‘peripheral’ Parkhead transfer revitalises winger


The Hoops are said to still be keen on Fares Ghedjemis despite the winter switch collapsing

Celtic are reportedly ready to revive their interest in Fares Ghedjemis – despite claims the winger rejected a switch to a “peripheral” league in January.

Last month, Martin O’Neill revealed Celtic were in the hunt for the in the hunt for the Frosinone star, despite the Serie B club being reluctant to sell the £6.5million-rated star. In the end, the 23-year-old opted to remain with his current club beyond the deadline as Joel Mvuka arrived in Glasgow’s East End before the window closed.

Tutto Sport report that the Italian side did not “seriously” consider letting their star man leave – because their valuation was never met. They claim that the offer from the Premiership champions for the Frenchman – who has netted nine times in the club’s promotion bid so far – did not top £5.2million.

The club has taken a hard line stance on transfers under club president Maurizio Stripe, who has only ever agreed to sell one star player during a mid-season window. That is when they banked a record fee with the sale of future Italy star Federico Gatti to Juventus for £8.6million in January 2022.

It is claimed the Hoops could make a move in the summer for the wide man, however they may have work to do if he is to ply his trade in the Premiership. It is claimed Ghedjemis was not “moved” by the interest and viewed the destination as “too peripheral”.

The club are said to have ramped up their valuation of the player with Como and Atalanta “considering” a move. Frosinone are said to be holding out for at least £8.6million at the end of the season.

Last weekend, Ghedjemis ended a five-game goal drought as he scored once and assisted another in the win over Spezia.

Boss Massimiliano Alvini declared the star was “revitalised” following the winter window transfer saga.

He said: “Fares is an extraordinary player. Our staff worked on him, and he’s been revitalised.

“He’s an asset to this team. It’s normal to have a slump after twenty-five games, but he’s a player we rely on greatly, and he still has plenty of room for improvement.

“We must give credit to the players for what they’re doing.”

Follow Record Sport on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for all of the up-to-the minute breaking news, video and audio on the SPFL, the Scotland national team and beyond.

Tune in to Hotline Live every Sunday to Thursday and have your say on the biggest issues in Scottish football and listen to Record Sport’s newest podcast, Game On, every Friday for your sporting fix, all in bitesize chunks.

Get more Daily Record exclusives by signing up for free to Google’s preferred sources. Click HERE.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *